Louise's Life

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

¿Donde Estan Los Ladrones?

For those of you who don´t speak spanish, that means "where are the thieves?" Well, i´ll tell you, they are running around with my wallet and causing some difficulty in my life.
There are signs all over the internet cafés, warning people that thieves operate in this zone (literal translation). I am always so careful, and i thought I was being careful on Sat. when i came in here, but I guess not careful enough. Instead of holding my stuff on my lap, like usual, I put my bag under my chair, attached to my chair and my LEG. In the 15 minutes that I was checking my email, before I went on to do my business (banking, etc, for which I needed my purse) they crawled under my table and chair, unzipped my bag, took out my purse and ran off. All while it was attached to me! (good it was or i would have lost my house keys and phone too, when they ran off w- my whole bag). I usually don´t carry my credit and ATM cards with me just for that reason, but I put them in that day to do my accounting.
Well, as you can imagine I went sheet white, running down the street, ready to prosecute any suspicious character. But of course, it was all in vain. When I tried to call my boyfriend, Corbin, back in the states, to get help (waking him up in the middle of the night), the operator wouldn´t let me call that number collect. Well, I told her what I thought. "I´m sorry ma´am, there is nothing I can do. Can I help you with another call?" I wasn´t very nice. So I ran all the way home with my backpack and sandles, like Lola, from "Run, Lola, Run" and got home in time to deal with this all before they started spending money from my account.
Corbin, of course, came to my rescue and gave me bank numbers and such. I called and cancelled all my accounts. In the end I only lost $80 cash, my driver´s license, my jamba juice card :( and some misc. stuff. It is a total hastel, and for those who don´t know, my purse was stolen out of my car in Santa Cruz in July so i just went through this ordeal. But I guess the bright side is that I am getting good at the process.
The worst part is that I have to find a new place to live in the next 3 days and with no money, it is hard to convince anyone to rent to me...especially in my broken spanish, but I´ll figure it out. And I´m building character... I think.

On a lighter note, I got my unicycle shipped over here (thanks, honey) and I have been loving the obstacle course of riding through the city at rush hour, through all the busy people walking to work and the mad taxi drivers. It has been great.

Ok, off to see where I can get money wired to me...wish me luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home